The Lighthouse, Glasgow: 12.08.05-02.10.05
gallerA1, Edinburgh: 10.02.06-06.04.06
Laputa is the name of the flying island in Jonathan Swift’s Gulliver’s Travels (first published in 1726). The installation takes the form of a multi-layered, vertically interconnected landscape made of clay, calico, wood, lead, steel, cord and rod, which is also ambiguously imagined as a kind of material cloud anchored within the space of the gallery. The construction works with mass, balance, displacement, depth, the sky, land, light and movement in relation to Swift’s text, fragments of which are used to calibrate the gallery wall.